Breathing as a metaphor

I've finished this painting. It measure 33x41cm and it's titled Breath.
As the title suggests, I've been trying to describe the air and the wind that flows through the landscape like a breath.
Being the most basic activity we experience, breathing is an important metaphor. Breath is a metaphor for energy and life force. It describes a cycle comparable to other cycles in the universe. Breathing connects us to our inner self, yet it helps us relate to the bigger picture

In this painting there's a circular sweep or gust of air...through a valley or a desert. Or is it smoke from a fire?
The lighter coulour on top of the dark-sky-background describes the wind rising and falling like a wave.
The sun lights up part of the landscape at dusk or dawn. Or is it a fire or an explosion that illuminates it in a flash?
Gestural brushstrokes describe movement. Bits and pieces are swept up and blown around.
And there's a puff in the upper left. I was interested in the solidness of this puff. It isolates and lights up things that are in the sky like a floodlight. Visually, I like how it plays with depth and flatness.

Is it air or smoke? Is it a grassy valley or a barren desert? It doesn't matter and it depends what you see. I've described different things during the process. I've thought about water and the movement of sand dunes. I've thought about grass blowing and soil layers.
I enjoy this ambiguity. It's whatever the viewer brings to it.

 

Comments

Popular Posts