Soil and Roots

I'm always drawn to roots that appear deep beneath the ground. In this image a large piece of land had been dug and a cross section exposed rocks, and roots. The clay-colour camouflages the roots and they beautifully appear like fine threads or icicles
Roots connect me with a sense of grounded. The space or expanse above me and ground below me. Roots and being rooted to a place. Roots and sewing yourself into a network, spreading deep down into a place. Roots and a connection with whats above and below. Roots, searching for wáter. Roots mirroring the branching and steming of the plant that grows above.

I took this photograph last July in Granada.


When in Laos, we visited caves where big roots apeeared deep within the caves. We were brought in to the caves by one local man with little light, so the experience was different to other cave I'd visited before and I suppose my senses were hightened, but I felt an intense closness to these roots. They were anchored into the soil way above me, had spread through the limestone and penetrated deep into the caves. I felt like I was inside a living organism and I had an overwhelming sense of nothingness..challenging my scale and existence I suppose.

Sketchbook entry in Bangkok








Comments

Popular Posts