Water Channels in Tijola


One of the most wonderful things about Tijola is the sound of running water. Water channels, carrying water from snowmelt of the Sierra Nevada run the length of the valley at different levels, so you can hear the flow from all around you. The channels date back to the Romans and Moors and the network irrigates the land. Each resident it allocated a time when they can open the sluice gates and redirrect the wáter from the cannel in to their land. The sluice gates were both intriguing and amusing because the system has worked like this for so long and it functions perfectly..but it's far from standardized. The sluice gates are often ingenuously made from old bits of metal, rags, stone, brick. while others have designed and made more sophisticated gates that suit them. I love the complexity and simplicity of it.
 

A certain amount of disorder is refreshing.

I've come to the conclusion that, although I want or need some degree of structure in my life, I enjoy the rawer, hapazardly stuff around me. While living in Bangkok, I loved the chaos and bizarre things that I'd find. And I find it enlivening, going to places that put the norms and traditions of home on it's head and make me question everything about myself. The exotic jumble is inspiring. 

But from day to day,what keeps you on your toes and alert? A zenful walk or the quirky things around you?
In Andalucia there are many things that are...just a little erratic. A touch of dissorder. Does that suit me? Well it interests me at least

Comments

Popular Posts