Process and the significance of smaller work on paper


When I want to respond to something or work out an idea quickly, I always start on paper. I usually draw and take notes in a sketchbook and then I rework these in the studio later. I draw and play with composition and experiment with colour in these small scale pieces.

As work develops, I'll usually expand into larger scale and 3D.




I always return to the initial drawings and small scale paintings throughout the process because I feel like they hold the essence or core energy of the work. There is a lot of intention in this small work and I like to connect with it.

Of course, later on in the process, it's more about trying to free myself from the mind and allow the process to take over. The smaller work is either hanging on the wall or scattered on the floor and I revisit it when I'm reflecting and looking for direction. 

Comments

Popular Posts